Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
View user profile

Mock Data Collection - looking for volunteers! Empty Mock Data Collection - looking for volunteers!

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:01 pm
Hello Impeachments,

Given that we won't have new power ranking data for this year, I've undertaken a project of creating an alternative (and perhaps more statistically rigorous) method of ranking mid to high tier programs using data from invitationals, regionals, and the ORCS that occurred. The method I'm using takes into account both round results and the caliber of the teams against whom those results were achieved in an attempt to create the most accurate picture possible of a program's strength.

However, the model needs fine tuning — incorporating strength of schedule into results as more than a tie-breaker requires some decisions about the extent of its influence on the overall results. This is where you come in, dear reader. Without getting into too much detail about exactly how this data will be used (so as not to bias respondents), I need volunteers from certain schools** who will be able to give a rough rank of the teams they competed against during the invitationals season from most to least challenging. This information will all remain strictly confidential and is only being used to inform how the model itself calculates results. It's kinda confusing, but know that these individual rankings of teams will never be published or shown to anyone else.

If you are interested in helping out the greater mock community by taking just a few minutes to volunteer for this project, please start by taking two or three minutes to fill out this google form about tournaments attended: https://forms.gle/roCB55gUv35Uo96W7 . I've already compiled data on round results, so once you've filled out the form, I will send you a list of teams who you should have competed against based on your responses to the form and I'll ask you to rank the rounds against those teams from most to least challenging (very important: please rank the teams exactly as they were when you hit them, not as you expected them to be).

With this data, I hope to be able to release the final results of this project relatively soon — the more volunteers I get, the faster I can finish and release the results. As Mother Teresa once said, "I alone cannot change the [AMTA team ranking system], but I can cast a stone across the water to create many ripples." Be the ripples, members of the Impeachments. Join me in creating a better world for all of us.

**Because I am but one person, it hasn't been possible for me to compile data on every single mock trial program. Therefore, I'm looking specifically for volunteers from the top 40 programs by 2019 power rank, which includes the following schools: Boston University, Columbia University, Duke University, Emory University, Fordham University, Lincoln Center, Georgetown University, Georgia Tech, Harvard University, Howard University, Indiana University, Lafayette College, Miami University, New York University, Northwestern University, Northwood University, Ohio State University, Patrick Henry College, Pennsylvania State University, Princeton University, Rhodes College, Stanford University, Tufts University, University of Arizona, UC Berkeley, UC Irvine, UCLA, UC San Diego, University of Chicago, University of Cincinnati, University of Florida, University of Georgia, UMBC, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, University of North Carolina, University of Rochester, University of Virginia, Wesleyan University, Yale University.

MockTrialWritersGuild likes this post

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum