Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
View user profile

Regionals Strength Empty Regionals Strength

Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:00 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Attached is an Excel that details the relative strength of each Regionals assignment. I understand it is pretty rough, so any advice for improvement would be appreciated. I also tried to figure out the chance for a given team to win six ballots at regionals, but I don't think I'm good enough at probability for that.

Enjoy!
Attachments
Regionals Strength Attachment
2021AMTA Regionals Analysis.xlsm You don't have permission to download attachments.(256 Kb) Downloaded 170 times
View user profile

Regionals Strength Empty Re: Regionals Strength

Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:23 pm
This looks really cool! One quick thing – is there a way to make the average TPR factor in the number of unranked teams? E.g., instead of `AVERAGE(N2:N23)` something like `(SUM(N2:N23)+(293*N26))/22`, so that if a regional has a large number of unranked teams, that increases the average TPR.

Depending on how much time you have on your hands, you could also add something that looks more closely at the top few teams – maybe `LARGE(N2:N23, 6)` to see the strongest team that, by TPR alone, would be expected to earn a bid. It might be interesting to see if some regionals are more top-heavy and others have deeper fields.

Last edited by sevenohtwo on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Missed the word "unranked" in the first sentence)

MockforLife likes this post

View user profile

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:47 pm
Quick Question, do you think it would be beneficial to give teams that are not ranked a TPR of 300 or 293? While those teams don't technically have a TPR, by not factoring them into the average TPR doesn't that overstate the TPR for each regionals? Like for instance, Regionals 1-A has a AVG TPR of 155.9 with all teams that have either, not competed before, or are unranked being listed as "UNRANKED". However if you list the unranked teams as a TPR of 300 the average TPR turns to 227.95. Which with so many unranked teams in each regionals gives a better overall evaluation of the competitiveness of the region.
happygolucky
View user profile

Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:56 pm
MockforLife wrote:Quick Question, do you think it would be beneficial to give teams that are not ranked a TPR of 300 or 293? While those teams don't technically have a TPR, by not factoring them into the average TPR doesn't that overstate the TPR for each regionals? Like for instance, Regionals 1-A has a AVG TPR of 155.9 with all teams that have either, not competed before, or are unranked being listed as "UNRANKED". However if you list the unranked teams as a TPR of 300 the average TPR turns to 227.95. Which with so many unranked teams in each regionals gives a better overall evaluation of the competitiveness of the region.

This is a good idea - though I would suggest giving each unranked team a TPR of 294 (one removed from the last ranked team with a TPR, UNLV A at 293). Just my two cents.

MockforLife likes this post

Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum