Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
View user profile

Looking ahead discussion Empty Looking ahead discussion

Sat May 08, 2021 1:51 pm
Two discussion questions for those who know much more about mock than I:

1) Who are the mockers to keep our eyes on for next year? Who hasn't graduated that we should expect a roaring season out of for 2021-2022?

2) What are the odds that we have in-person tournaments? I know the general consensus is that regionals and ORCS will definitely be in person, but what does everyone think will happen for fall invitationals? Online? Hybrid of the two? I know a lot of schools are requiring vaccines; perhaps AMTA tournaments can also require that teams be fully vaccinated before attending. I can imagine that large groups of teenagers roving the country, gathering with other large groups, then returning to campus might not seem quite appealing to colleges and universities.

View user profile

Looking ahead discussion Empty Re: Looking ahead discussion

Sun May 09, 2021 5:38 pm
1: From what I have heard, both Yale and Rhodes fielded very young teams this year. Specific mockers is hard, but I would watch Yale/Rhodes A teamers, especially those with consistent awards or (in Yale's case) final round participation.

2: Teams generally follow AMTA, which seems to believe it will hold an in-person competitive season, so my guess is something close to what you outlined: in person, but probably with vaccination requirements. I wouldn't be surprised if there were also a few online invites floating around.
View user profile

Sun May 09, 2021 10:06 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Not to be the downer but I think most fall invites will be online, mostly because of travel and venue restrictions. The law school program I run has gotten 7 or 8 application invites for fall tournaments that are all online, and our usual undergrad invitational host (Maryland Law) has already said no to hosting this fall. I'm not even planning to ask our campus because I know they'd say no as well. And I have to imagine a lot of schools will have travel restrictions of some sort. If I had to guess I'd think the fall will be mostly online with a few smaller regional-based events that might be in-person (like teams from a 50-mile radius who all gather at a third-party venue or private school with more autonomy on gatherings) and then hopefully we can be fully in-person for January invitationals and the 2022 AMTA season. It's going to be a strange year.

MockforLife likes this post

View user profile

Sun May 09, 2021 10:47 pm
Honestly, you have access to a lot more information than I, and I'm happy to defer to your judgement with a small note: this all may vary from region to region, as different parts of the country have, shall we say, different attitudes towards COVID, which is why my initial impulse was what it was.

I enjoy the podcast, and wish you the best of luck next season as well as congrats on your recent success.
View user profile

Tue May 11, 2021 9:55 am
In terms of competitors to watch, there are a number of returning Trial by Combat Participants. Riya Lakkaraju, Abby Branham, Bennett Demsky, Elizabeth Grant, and Travis Harper all do not graduate (there may be others, although those are the ones I know are not seniors). Looking at the top teams, reigning champs UMBC bring back two All Americans, Thomas Azari and Natalie Murray, who should win a bunch of awards especially now that Sydney Gaskins is graduating. Emory returns a bunch of talent beyond Lakkaraju, including all-American Danielle Jacoby and Sarah Delacey. FSU also has both Madeline Bodiford, who won 7 awards last year, and all-National witness Fernando Yzquierdo coming back. Tufts returns Alexander Thompson, an All American witness, and Brett Sachs, a double sided all regional and all national witness.
From UVA, All American James Orr and Isabelle Mayor-Mora, who awarded at GAMTI, are both excellent attorneys. Catherine Lammersen of Miami has won AMTA awards as both an attorney and a witness. Berkeley's Rebecca Steinberg won a bunch of awards last year and she returns for what should be a really strong team. David Bainbridge of Patrick Henry was the top ranked attorney in the Nelmark division, and I believe he also comes back next year. I also think Tahj Burnett of Northwestern is set for a big year after tying for the most attorney ranks at GAMTI last year and winning an AMTA award.
DoYouRemember
View user profile

Wed May 12, 2021 9:17 am
1. Excited to see more of Madeline Bodiford (FSU), who I thought gave the best closing I saw all year last year, and Tahj Burnett (Northwestern), whose presence and delivery is phenomenal.  I'd add in that Stanford has some promising members coming back: two all-american attorneys in Elizabeth Grant and Azam Janmohamed.  They also had freshman Meredith Fenyo, who I thought had some really solid rounds this year.  

2. I'm hoping that online mock trial stays around in some fashion, because it's an awesome way to test materials and content. I think Ben's right about venue restrictions and university-nervousness: that'll will be a big limit on programs, and it will be a hinderance to schools who do not have nationals competition in the immediate area. But fingers crossed for a return!
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum