Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Doobs

ORCS Group/Assignments Empty ORCS Group/Assignments

Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:21 am
Hi all,

I mocked up what the current ORCS groups look like, as well as some calculations on overall tournament/group difficulty based solely on TPR (though, of course, none of the ORCS this year look at all easy.) Unranked teams were given the rank "288," as that would be one spot below the lowest team rank on the current TPR.

Not all teams are assigned yet, so I made some predictions on which unassigned teams will go to which ORCS based primarily on location. Predicted landing spots are highlighted yellow.

Let me know if I have made any mistakes.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vRmIAbY_rtu8cyDE7FFuqetgtAfJybGQrOzs3zEXLI7BQbrUbds1pXDZ2IdAjZxP90hwgwTwGAJbeZn/pubhtml

MockOG likes this post

adamsel

ORCS Group/Assignments Empty Re: ORCS Group/Assignments

Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:15 am
Thanks for putting this together! A few notes, right now the last TPR is 275 so I was wondering how you got 288? Second, I noticed the hardest/easiest rank and while I agree with who's easy or hard in each tier, I think saying Atlanta is the easiest ORCS overall is a mistake. If any team wants to bid, they have to take a ballot or two off of an A bracket team, so Atlanta having the hardest A bracket would make that the hardest ORCS imo. Like yes, you have to beat the C and D bracket too and at Atlanta those are easier, but if your goal is to advance to nationals as a B, C, or D bracket team, its really about beating that A bracket to displace them and Atlanta is the hardest for that.
Doobs

Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:53 pm
adamsel wrote:right now the last TPR is 275 so I was wondering how you got 288?

On the current TPR, there is a 13-way tie at 275, so I went with the number that would follow the 13th team if it was listed on TPR. This happens at other points on the current TPR, e.g, there is a 4-way tie at 29, and the next ranked team is 33.

adamsel wrote:I noticed the hardest/easiest rank and while I agree with who's easy or hard in each tier, I think saying Atlanta is the easiest ORCS overall is a mistake.

I agree that Atlanta looks like an incredibly difficult tournament to bid out of. Those hardest/easiest sections are solely based off of the average TPR for the tournament, not my own personal opinion. I have edited the sheet to clarify.
Ghost of Perjuries Past
Ghost of Perjuries Past

Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:39 am
Doobs wrote:
I agree that Atlanta looks like an incredibly difficult tournament to bid out of. Those hardest/easiest sections are solely based off of the average TPR for the tournament, not my own personal opinion.

Since you've clearly put a good degree of thought into the different fields, what are your own opinions about the relative difficulty of the different orcs?
Doobs

Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:49 pm
Ghost of Perjuries Past wrote: Since you've clearly put a good degree of thought into the different fields, what are your own opinions about the relative difficulty of the different orcs?

It's interesting, because numerically the ORCS are pretty well-balanced but it seems that each ORCS is difficult in it's own unique way. Cincinnati, for example, has a lot of teams with historical ORCS success in their A and B tier and a lot of ORCS newcomers in the D tier that could be wildcards. D.C, on the other hand, has a lower average overall TPR for their A and B tiers, but pretty much every team there has had some recent ORCS wins.

I also noticed that 7/8 ORCS have at least 1 B team joining their program's A team in A tier (New Rochelle being the exception.)

Every single one of these ORCS looks incredibly difficult, even more so than recent years. Memphis looks especially difficult to me. There is not a single team in those A and B groups that I wouldn't be worried about hitting, and there are no teams on the schedule that I would feel good about facing.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum