Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
View user profile

Mid Year Meeting Empty Mid Year Meeting

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:14 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I feel like this is becoming a biannual complaint from me, but where is the agenda for the mid-year meeting? It’s coming up on Dec 15, but they haven’t put out the agenda for public comments yet. According to the rules, they are supposed to do that fifteen days before the meeting.

Last year, I know they told us it was late because there wasn’t anything important on the agenda (there were literally no motions on the main calendar). But this year, we know there are going to be a number of things they discuss, because they deferred a number of things to the mid-year at the summer meeting. Some of these things are big and some of them are small.

The biggest thing that seems to be coming out at the mid year is the new tabulation system. They voted at the summer meeting to adopt Bernstein’s proposal for a seeded ORCS. But that proposal was pretty light on the details, and commentary by the board on Perjuries suggested that they would vote to adopt it, then write the tab manual and then adopt the new tab manual at the mid year meeting. Given how big a change that’s going to be, I would certainly feel more comfortable if the manual was open to public comment before they adopted it so people could catch and issues with the proposed system (e.g. edge cases they overlooked).

It’s also pretty clear that the CRC is planning on releasing a bunch of guidance stuff this December, and unclear whether that is going to be adopted at the mid year meeting. If it is, that should definitely get public comment.

In short, this meeting could be really important, and AMTA isn’t telling us what they are thinking about doing, despite the fact that their own rules say they are supposed to.
View user profile

Mid Year Meeting Empty Re: Mid Year Meeting

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:12 pm
They put it up either late last night or early this morning: http://www.collegemocktrial.org/2019%20Mid-Year%20Meeting%20Agenda.pdf
View user profile

Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:41 pm
Ok, so they finally released the agenda, and it technically has the topics for discussion on it. But for those of us who have been asking for transparency, this feels like a bit of a slap in the face. The two motions on here are really, really important. One is a major rules clarification concerning a rule that has caused quite a stir recently, and the other is a proposal that changes the entire tabulation system for ORCS. And, as they are presented on the agenda, they are so vaguely worded as to be entirely unhelpful.

On the 8.9 clarification, what language are they adding? What clarifications will they be adding? Will the clarifications actually be helpful? Or will the be like the last couple guidance memos and just make things more confusing?

With the new tab system, we know it’s going to involve ranking the teams and then having them compete so that each team will play one other team from each of the brackets. But will they be power matched in the brackets? What order are the brackets going to play each other? Will there still be power protection at the end? Are they ranking using pure TPR or are they going to have a ranking system that takes regionals into account? If there are ties in ranking right at the division between the brackets, what are they going to do? What happens if there is a team that drops out last minute and there has to be a bye buster? What happens if a team leaves early? All of these will have to be specified by the tab manual, and they didn’t provide the tab manual for public review before it was adopted.

I know it may seem like this is a case where we will find out soon enough (after the meeting), so why do I care? I care because the point of putting out an agenda is so that the motions can get public comment and review. If anything, that’s particularly important at the mid-year, because the mid-year isn’t public (so the time before the meeting is the only time we can reach out to the board if we have questions or concerns).

But this time, they didn’t put out an announcement asking for public comment, and, even if they had, we couldn’t have made comments because the agenda is so vague as to be unhelpful. That completely misses the point. The board has been saying on Perjuries that they care about student concerns, that they want us to participate, that they aren’t trying to be secretive etc. If that is the case, why is it, that almost every time they are given a chance to get it right they give us something like this. It’s not that hard, people. Come on!

I would urge any board member who is reading this to make public, at the very least, the proposed new tab manual for public comment, and, if possible, a copy of the “stylistic revisions and elements” from the guidance memo that they will be adding to the rule.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum