Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Angler
Angler

Big 4 of 5 2023: Teams to watch Empty Big 4 of 5 2023: Teams to watch

Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:03 pm
Analysis

We did some number-crunching on the current data from the 4/5 Big 5 tournaments, as designated by Mock Trial AP. All of the performances of the teams that made appearances at the Big 5 invitationals so far were combined and ranked.

Important: Our rankings are based on averaging the win rate of each team divided by the square root of the difficulty rating of each tournament. This gave preference to higher win rates at the harder tournaments.

Here is our list of the top 15 teams to look out for going into the Spring:

1. University of Virginia
  2. University of California, Berkeley
  3. University of California, Los Angeles
  4. University of Chicago
  5. The Ohio State University
  6. Harvard University
  7. University of Maryland, College Park
  8. University of South Carolina
  9. Emory University
  10. Rhodes College
  11. University of Georgia
  12. Yale University
  13. University of Michigan
  14. University of Texas
  15. Indiana University

Author's Note

Hi! I LOVE mock trial.

But I can't compete this year.
Long story.

I wanted to stay active in this community, so I took up data analytics! It's something I'm studying, so why not do it for my favorite club?
I work on a lot of projects, and I would love to share them with you guys. This is our first post, and we're excited to post a lot more in the future!

Edits:
- Increased ranking list from top 10 to top 15
- Removed personal information
- Edited formula to weight based on tournament difficulty. Tournament difficulty was rated based on the average TPR of teams in attendance.

Last edited by Angler on Mon Dec 25, 2023 1:17 am; edited 6 times in total (Reason for editing : See edits list)
Angler
Angler

Big 4 of 5 2023: Teams to watch Empty Re: Big 4 of 5 2023: Teams to watch

Sat Dec 23, 2023 5:25 pm
Here is the data we used. I tried to use Tabula to automate the ballot entry with Python, but these tab summary formats are NOT it. Do with this data what you will!
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ppWHjhNzk5fI0U1PcDWCnxbq7IwNPzA4gyJ4vHGu5BQ/edit?usp=sharing
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum