Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Regionals Week 3 Results

+5
TarotReadersAssociation
Sir Mocksalot
NotAGoodMocker
DoYouRemember
happygolucky
9 posters
Go down
happygolucky
happygolucky

Regionals Week 3 Results Empty Regionals Week 3 Results

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:13 pm
Message reputation : 0% (2 votes)
What do people think about results coming in from Tempe, Williamsburg, Tallahassee, Des Moines, Providence, New Rochelle, New Haven, Lawrence, Dayton, Williamsburg, DC, and Jackson?

Nothing strikes me as a shocking result, but the impressive showing from UMass Amherst. And even with the sanctions, I expected Yale to put together two teams to break through to ORCS, but it looks like they won't.
DoYouRemember
DoYouRemember

Regionals Week 3 Results Empty Re: Regionals Week 3 Results

Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:15 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
Looking forward to hearing more from Mizzou. They got a team out in Week 2 and Week 3.
NotAGoodMocker

Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 pm
Message reputation : 100% (2 votes)
Relatively surprised by ASU B not making it out of Tempe considering how well ASU's other teams have done. Looks like a horrible -6 +27 split against Colorado B did them in but interesting that they had a close round 4 split against Arizona D. Really impressed by a fantastic showing by WUSTL A with a respectable CS and a massive PD. Should be interesting to see how Cedar Rapids shakes out.
Sir Mocksalot

Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm
Dayton has got to be the biggest upset thus far, right?  Two of MAIMD's 3 locks did not make it out, including PSU A.  It appears PSU may only have 1 bid to ORCS for the first time in as long as I can remember.  Barely any of the bubble teams made it.  Case Western has made it to ORCS a few times but I don't recall their B team ever making it.  I don't recall ever seeing the name "Duquesne" before so I think this is the first ever bid.  I don't think anyone expected Dayton to shake out like it did aside from OSU winning it...
TarotReadersAssociation

Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:16 pm
As someone with a soft spot for small schools, one thing that stood out to me was a strong showing by a lot of schools outta the Midwest. Creighton seems to be building on their progress from last year outta Kansas. Dayton was pretty shocking in that Duquesne (previously unranked) beat out teams that had gotten to ORCS last year like Eastern Michigan, as well as both Case Western Reserve's teams getting out (the A team wasn't even on MAIMD's bubble) all getting bids over big state schools like Penn State A. Meanwhile in Des Moines 3/6 bids went to schools that by all accounts shouldn't have gotten through. Luther, a fairly mediocre team that hasn't broken through regionals in recent years finally made it out with 7-1 record. Hamline (who hasn't been to ORCS in the past two years) put up an impressive 6-2 record with a CS of 20 with Drake in somewhat the same position with a 5-3 record and CS of 19. Grinnell put up a good fight but might miss out on a bid that goes to Wheaton or Indiana I like to see ORCS made up of diverse schools instead of the usual State School A/B State School A/B etc.

I haven't had a chance to see many of these smaller schools in action, and I think it's probably an overstatement to say that some of these teams will make a run for Nats but I did think it was certainly noteworthy. I wonder if the trend will continue next week in St Paul and Columbus
Peter Quincy

Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:04 pm
happygolucky wrote:
Nothing strikes me as a shocking result, but the impressive showing from UMass Amherst. And even with the sanctions, I expected Yale to put together two teams to break through to ORCS, but it looks like they won't.

I'm confused. Doesn't yale have another team competing at regionals this coming weekend?
Pacificus
Pacificus

Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:28 pm
Penn State A already has a bid?

Yale's B team went 7-1 with a PD of +92.... So I'm guessing Yale A will do pretty well this weekend, and take two bids. As I recall, the program was not sanctioned, only individuals.
TURNTables

Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:39 am
One thing other thing that shocked me in Dayton was Eastern Michigan A only going 3-5, we hit them at a fall invitational and I thought for sure they would be heading to ORCS. But, Dayton was a firestorm.
TarotReadersAssociation

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:34 am
Pacificus wrote:Penn State A already has a bid?

Last edited by TarotReadersAssociation on Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
I'llallowit

Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:22 pm
TURNTables wrote:One thing other thing that shocked me in Dayton was Eastern Michigan A only going 3-5, we hit them at a fall invitational and I thought for sure they would be heading to ORCS. But, Dayton was a firestorm.

I was also surprised that EMU A didn't make it out. I've seen both their A and B teams this season and I thought both teams were very good (and classy too). Especially given EMU A's invitational results, I thought their regional placement was surprising. I saw EMU A at Penn State's HVI where they went 6-1-1 and I think they went 7-1 at two or three other invites (MSU, Indy Mock 100, etc.). It is too bad that such a talented group won't be competing at ORCS. On the other hand, congrats to Duquesne--I would be curious to see them in round since they were able to sweep EMU in round 4.

However, there are other instances where early season invitational success did not translate into success at AMTA Regionals. For example, staying with the Dayton Regional, Eastern Kentucky also had some good early invitational results at Colonial Classic, Illinois State's invitational, and their own Colonel Classic, yet they only managed 3 ballots at Dayton.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum