Impeachments
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
MidlandsAfterDark

ORCS Results by Bracket Empty ORCS Results by Bracket

Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:40 pm
Message reputation : 100% (1 vote)
I have had a lot of time on my hands as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, and while I was listening to the latest Mock Review episode, I was intrigued by what Ben and Drew were saying about whether or not the new bracket system at ORCS was working how it was "supposed to" (i.e. were the upper-bracket teams actually beating the lower-bracket teams, as TPR would predict). To be clear, I am no MAIMD so I'm not really one for data analysis, but I do enjoy compiling data into spreadsheets, so I did that (a lot!). Here's what I have:

"ORCS Spreadsheet"
1. Results by Round and Bracket - how many sweeps, splits, and tie/wins (i.e. ballot result of +2, 0) happened during each round at each ORCS
2. Overall Ballot Results - total number of ballots won by each bracket in every inter-bracket round at each ORCS
3-7. [ORCS] Round Results - essentially the tab summaries, but organized by bracket

"Nationals spreadsheet"
- ORCS schedules of each team that got a Nationals bid, plus a summary of which bracket and which bracket positions all of the earned bids were from

Anyway, hope these are at least somewhat interesting for you all, and that everyone is staying safe and healthy and is practicing social distancing!
Attachments
ORCS Results by Bracket Attachment
ORCS spreadsheet.xlsx You don't have permission to download attachments.(50 Kb) Downloaded 94 times
ORCS Results by Bracket Attachment
Nationals spreadsheet.xlsx You don't have permission to download attachments.(35 Kb) Downloaded 59 times
DoYouRemember
DoYouRemember

ORCS Results by Bracket Empty Re: ORCS Results by Bracket

Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:46 am
This is a cool analysis. Most of it seems to follow the prediction: higher TPR generally wins. There is however one exception:

Round 4: A vs B
Average amount of ballots for A group: 5.5
Average amount of ballots for B group: 6.5

I'd have to dig into the numbers to see if the defense side bias played a role, or what these teams records were at the time. Perhaps there was motivation for B being close to the cuff? A Group and B Group won almost the same amount of ballots in total (119.5 to 119, respectively).
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum